As I am writing this blogpost, my windows are wide open, I have just a shirt and shorts on me and I’m drinking a cold glass of water with mint. It is, as the last I checked, 21 degrees in Helsinki right now, which means SUMMER! I’m not sure how long this lovely weather will last, so I will make use of it as much as possible.
Because it is such a bright day with the lovely sun warming us all, I decided to write and publish this recipe already today. Apart from the rich combination of tastes, I love this salad also for its bright colours!
But this is also not necessarily a salad for one season: you can use the citrus family of whichever season you are in, adding tangerines, satsumas or other citrus fruits and apply the same brightness to that season. You can even brighten up dark and cold winter days!
As far as the taste goes, the addition of honey orange sauce together with everything else that is not citrus, gives you a festival inside your mouth. Altogether, they enhance the boldness of citrus taste but gives other ideas too. I do recommend you apply all those extra bits!
Enjoy your colourful recipe! I will now work on a book project!
Difficulty: ★☆☆ (Easy)
(adapted from food-mag.co.uk)
1 white grapefruit (greippi in Finnish)
1 red grapefruit (verigreippi in Finnish)
seeds of half of a pomegranate
a handful of roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp honey (if you want to make it vegan, you can also use maple syrup, I tried also with that and it works just fine)
1/2 tsp orange blossom water (you can find this in Stockmann and in Ruohonjuuri)
a pinch of ground cinnamon
5-6 mint leaves, finely chopped
1. Peel and slice lime as seen in the photo (or, if you have other peeling method for lime, just do that).
2. Peel and slice orange as seen in the photo (or, again, if you have other peeling method, do that).
3. Do the same with grapefruits.
4. Arrange the slices on a serving plate as you wish.
5. Spread pomegranate seeds and pistachios on top.
6. Mix honey (or syrup) and orange blossom water and drizzle on top of the salad.
7. Spread ground cinnamon and add chopped mint leaves. That’s it! Enjoy!