I didn’t use to like goat cheese at all. I couldn’t stand the smell and I got genuinely upset when it appeared in my food. But then a few years ago I did Rachel Khoo’s salty cake that had goat cheese in it among other things and my perception of goat cheese changed overnight!
So, now I even love eating goat cheese on a tartine! And it’s accompanied by sweet sweet potato. Sweet potato is a vegetable that I never remember to use, I must admit. I like it a lot, but I forget its existence quite often. But recently I started to “force” myself to remember and use it in new recipes and some of my catering gigs.
As usual, the secret to the best version of this tartine is good, very good, crusty fresh bread. If you want to make smaller tartines, then you can use a crusty fresh baguette instead of a big loaf.
Also, for this particular tartine recipe, it is important to have a good quality but soft goat cheese so that you can easily spread on the bread without hurting the bread too much.
Ok then, go ahead and make your tartine for breakfast or lunch or dinner – any time of the day basically!
Difficulty: ★☆☆ (Easy)
(makes 2 slices of tartine)
(adapted from thekitchn.com)
1 big sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 tsp honey (or a kind of syrup works fine too)
2 tbsp olive oil, divided in 2
100 gr. soft goat cheese
1/2 tsp salt (or more if you like a bit more salty)
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
4 tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
2 slices of GOOD quality bread
about 1 tsp of white and black sesame seeds mixture
2 tsp sesame oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Mix sweet potato with honey, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Spread sweet potato mixture on an oven tray with a baking paper and put in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes, until potato pieces get tender and cooked.
4. Put roasted sweet potato in a bowl again and mix with roasted pumpkin seeds.
5. Brush both sides of bread slices with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and grill both sides until they get nicely browned and grilled.
6. Spread goat cheese on grilled bread slices. Top with sweet potato and sesame seeds. Drizzle sesame oil. Serve as soon as possible. Enjoy!