February is ending. It is minus something every day outside, so cold that I want to cuddle inside my bed until April. It is that time of the year when even the weather is tired of winter. What is the best comfort food for such days? SOUP, of course!
In the bleakness of these snow-white days, the best soup is the most colourful one. That’s why I went to the market and bought some red pepper, tomatoes, red onions (even the onions should be colourful!) and came home to make this recipe. I also added a bit of green on the side with a vegan pesto, but the recipe for that will be in another blogpost.
The idea for this soup is pretty simple: roast everything in the oven and then cook with the liquid ingredients. Put a blender inside and puree the soup as much as you like (I like mine with teeny tiny chunks).
The soup includes a mixture of spices and herbs. The spice part is especially good for these cold and bleak days – it heats you up inside! That’s why I highly recommend to include all the spices listed. However, if you have some problems with spicy food, like a sensitive stomach, then just cut down a bit on the spices according to your taste / health. Enjoy!
Difficulty: ★☆☆ (Easy)
6 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped in 4-6 pieces
6 tomatoes, roughly chopped in 4-6 pieces
2 red onions, roughly chopped in 4-6 pieces
4 garlic cloves
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
a generous pinch of salt and pepper, plus more at the end to adjust final seasoning
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp mixed herbs (like basil, oregano, thyme… you can also use just one of these herbs)
1 cup / 2.5 dl coconut milk
2 cups / 5 dl water (or vegetable stock)
(if you don’t have any vegetable stock – I didn’t have at home..) 1 cube of vegetable stock
1 tbsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed or bottle)
for topping (optional):
roasted chickpeas (recipe here)
vegan pesto (recipe will soon be in the blog)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Take a deep and big oven dish to put the vegetables in (it’s important to have a deep dish to keep the juices of roasted vegetables inside).
2. In a big bowl, put red peppers, tomatoes, red onions and garlic. Pour olive oil and mix.
3. Add ground coriander, mixed herbs, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes and lemon juice and mix well.
4. Transfer the spiced vegetables to the oven dish. Roast in the oven, in medium rack, for about 35 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and a bit browned.
5. When the vegetables are roasted, take out of the oven and transfer to a big pot, together with their juices inside the oven dish. Add vegetable stock cube and water (or liquid vegetable stock if you have any) and coconut milk. Mix and put in medium high heat. Once it starts boiling, lower the heat and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.
6. When the soup is cooked, take it away from heat. Using a blender, puree the soup as much as you like – you can keep it a bit chunky or you can make it perfectly smooth and creamy, it’s up to you. Top it with roasted chickpeas or vegan pesto. Enjoy the soup with fresh, crusty bread – you can also top the bread with some vegan pesto as well! Yum!