Here is a simple gluten free cake for you. With the slightly gritty texture of almonds and refreshing coconuts, this cake is tasty, filling and rich.
Well, ok, maybe ground almonds or almonds to grind are not always present in your kitchen. But if you can get your hands on these tasty ingredients easily then the rest is no problem at all.
The cake is perfect for nice and calm spring afternoons with friends, accompanied by fresh tea or coffee (I prefer tea as always!). Preferably in a garden. Surrounded by greens, flowers and the Sun. Yes, perfect!
(makes 1 cake in 22cm cake pan)
180 gr. butter, melted and cooled a bit
4 dl + 2 tbsp + 2 tsp (or 1 2/3 cups or 220 gr.) ground almonds
1.5 dl + 2.5 tbsp (or 3/4 cup + 0.5 tbsp or 75 gr.) desiccated coconuts
2 dl + 2.5 tsp (or 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp + 0.5 tsp or 170 gr.) granulated white sugar
a pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla sugar
a handful of sliced almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 22cm cake pan (I used springform) and cover the base with a baking paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, put the eggs and start beating in medium speed, for about half a minute.
3. Add melted butter and continue beating until they are well mixed.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the sliced almonds and beat in medium speed until they are incorporated.
5. Scrape the sides of the bowl if needed. Transfer the batter into the prepared cake pan.
6. Cover the surface of the cake with sliced almonds. Put in the oven, in medium rack and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. When it is baked, take out of the oven and leave in the pan for at least half an hour. Then take it out and cool it on a wire rack. Enjoy with fresh tea / coffee and lovely friends!