In times like this, when we are all feeling weird, uncertain, scared, it’s good to bake and eat comfort food. Salty cake is a good one to try.
I’m still feeling odd and depressed. Just like millions of people out there. Just like my friends, my family. The people I love, the people I don’t know. But if I can have enough energy, I get up and bake. And it really helps.
I love salty cakes. They’re like sandwiches in a cake form. Once you have your base, the cake batter, you can make the cakes as rich as you like, using any extra ingredients you like or you have at home.
This batter is a very easy one. You don’t even need a mixer, you can just whisk by hand. And the ingredients are very easy to find. So you may not have to leave home to buy ingredients for the base. And the rest, the filling ingredients, you can try to buy these ones I used, or the ones you have at home so that you don’t have to leave home!
So, let’s bake and try to forget everything that’s going on outside…
(makes 1 loaf cake, I used a 240x80x55mm carton mold)
5 dl (or 2 cups or 250 gr.) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
50 gr. feta, crumbled
50 gr. cheddar, grated
50 gr. sliced black olives
5 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped finely
about 10-12 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
3 large eggs
1.5 dl (or 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp + 2 tsp) olive oil
1 dl (or 1/3 cup + 4 tsp) milk
3.5 tbsp (or 50 gr.) plain yogurt
a little vegetable oil to grease the mold
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease the mold and put aside.
2. In a medium bowl, put flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk a little.
3. Add ingredients starting with feta ending with fresh basil and mix.
4. In a large bowl, put eggs and whisk well.
5. Add olive oil, milk and yogurt to eggs and whisk well.
6. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and gently fold until there is no dry spot left.
7. Transfer the batter to the mold. Smoothen the surface using a spatula. Put in the medium section of your oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely in the mold and then take out and serve. Enjoy with a light salad as lunch or dinner or as a snack with afternoon tea (you could even eat this for breakfast!).