I know what you’re thinking. A soup recipe? On 1st of June? With root vegetables, not even a cold one? Yupp. Because for me, any season is soup season. It feeds my soul above everything else.
But… I actually prepared this recipe a few weeks ago. Photos and everything. And yet, throughout May, I was having ups and downs with depression and I didn’t have the energy to sort the recipe and put in the blog.
Lately, though, I started to feel a bit better again and so right now I’m writing this blog post. I may not have added many recipes in that period, but I’ve had many kinds of soups to heal my soul.
I hope you love soup as much as I do and I hope this soup recipe helps you feel better inside and out! Stay safe, stay healthy!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 can (400 gr.) tomato
200 gr. turnip, chopped in medium (easy-to-eat) size chunks (in Finnish: nauris)
200 gr. rutabaga, chopped in medium (easy-to-eat) size chunks (in Finnish: lanttu)
3 large carrots, chopped in medium (easy-to-eat) size chunks
1.5 litres (or 6 cups) vegetable broth
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
50 gr. (or 1/2 cup) macaroni
1 can (400 gr.) red kidney beans, drained
finely chopped parsley, to serve (optional)
1. In a large pot, put olive oil on medium high heat. Add onion and sauté for about 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
2. Add canned tomato and continue to sauté for a couple more minutes.
3. Add turnip, rutabaga and carrots and sauté for about a minute.
4. Add vegetable broth, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, give it a stir and cover the pot. Let it boil. When it starts boiling, lower the heat to medium and cook for 20-25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
5. Add macaroni and stir. Check the package instructions and let the cooking time be according to the instructions.
6. 2 minutes before the package instruction time ends, add red kidney beans and stir. When all is cooked, turn off the heat and let the soup rest for a few minutes, covered. Serve warm, with finely chopped parsley on top (optional). Enjoy!