A few weeks ago, in K-market in Kamppi, I saw a package of colourful carrots. They looked so much like the usual suspects. They were beautiful with different colours. I had to do something with them.
And so I bought the package and headed home. Then did the simplest thing, I just roasted them with some garlic and herbs. That’s it! Seriously, easiest thing in the world.
To accompany it, I fried some goat cheese. It is not hard but you should be quick and careful. The goat cheese balls have to chill very well in the fridge and they have to be fried in very hot oil. If you put the balls in the pan a bit earlier, then they will melt before they are fried.
So, here it is. A colourful and simple dinner.
Fried goat cheese (makes 4 balls)
200 gr goat cheese
1 tsp / 5 ml dried oregano
1 tsp / 5 ml dried thyme
1/2 cup / 1.2 dl bread crumbs
2 tbsp / 30 ml olive oil
Roasted carrots (serves 1)
6 carrots of various colours
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp / 15 ml olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp / 5 ml dried thyme (alternatively, you can put fresh thyme sprigs)
a pinch of salt
a pinch of pepper
1. First, prepare the goat cheese balls. You should prepare them 2 hours before frying. In a bowl, put goat cheese, oregano and thyme and crush with the help of a fork.
2. Make 4 balls using your hand and put them in the fridge to chill.
3. 1.5 hours after you put the goat cheese balls in the fridge, start preparing the carrots. Preheat the oven to 220C. On a baking sheet, put peeled carrots and garlic cloves.
4. Drizzle olive oil, lemon juice, dried thyme (or fresh thyme sprigs), salt and pepper. Put in the oven, until carrots are well roasted. Check often.
5. While carrots are being roasted, fry the goat cheese. First, beat the egg.
6. Put olive oil in a frying pan and heat it very well.
7. Take goat cheese balls out of the oven and directly start frying: First dip into the egg, then cover with bread crumbs and then put in the frying pan. About 1 minute or so for each side will be enough, otherwise they will start melting.
8. Take the roasted carrots out of the oven and serve with fresh fried goat cheese.