This Turkish dessert is a little tricky when it comes to memories; I cannot remember if my mother used to make it or not really. For a long time I had forgotten this dessert until one day I came across the recipe and suddenly remembered its existence.
On the other hand, this is one of the easiest recipes on the planet probably. It is ready in just about 15 minutes and then needs to chill. I made it when I participated in the first in Restaurant Day 2 years ago and Finnish kids loved it!
I like how soft it tastes and I love the texture. I strongly recommend serving it with ground cinnamon, but you can also serve and eat it plain, it’s equally tasty.
The ingredients are also very easy to find and probably most of them are in your kitchen at all times – except for the main ingredient, semolina maybe. While preparing the recipe I used small ramekins but it is traditionally poured into rectangular pyrex bowl to chill and once it chills and gets solid, it is served by cutting into square pieces. Either way works!
Make this dessert for your kids and I’m sure they will love it! Have some yourself too of course!
(serves 6 small ramekins)
4 cups / 9.6 dl milk (in room temperature) – I used whole milk, täysmaito
9 tbsp / 135 ml/ 130 gr semolina (mannasuurimo in Finnish)
9 tbsp / 135 ml/ 140 gr granulated white sugar
70 gr butter
1 tsp / 5 ml vanilla extract
ground cinnamon, to serve
1. In a pan, put some milk, add semolina and sugar. Mix it with a wooden spoon for a while.
2. Put the pan on medium heat and continue stirring, until it thickens.
3. Once it thickens, add butter and continue stirring until all butter melts.
4. Once all butter melts, take the pan away from heat, add vanilla extract and stir until it is fully incorporated.
5. Let it cool for about a minute or two. Then divide the warm dessert between ramekins or if you are using one big pyrex bowl, then pour all of it into the bowl. Let it cool for about 30 minutes before putting in the fridge. After that put in the fridge by covering (either with a lid or using stretch film) and leave it there for at least 2 hours.
6. Serve with ground cinnamon or plain. Perfect!