I think, out of all kinds of gluten free flour, corn flour is my favourite. It has the colour, it has the taste and it makes everything richer. Add some extra flavour like leek and carrot in this recipe, and you almost have one full and very satisfying meal in one slice!
I find leek a very interesting vegetable. Your dish can easily turn into a quite dull when you are using leek. But if you cook it or combine it well with other ingredients, it makes a delicious dish.
I generally make leek dish with onion, rice and carrot (recipe is here) but I grew kind of tired of it. So I started to think of new ways of using leek and ended up with this recipe in a Turkish Youtube channel called “Nefis Yemek Tarifleri”. I made slight changes to the recipe. I increased the amount of carrots and overall my leek-carrot combo measures much more than the original recipe. Also, I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil for a stronger taste.
The result is amazing! You get just right amount taste of all the ingredients. It does not overly have corn and bread taste. It is quite colourful. The slices hold their shape well but it is not at all dry – on the contrary, it is quite moist.
You can eat this like normal bread with a vegetable twist together with a main dish. Or, you can eat it just by itself, with some tea or coffee like an afternoon snack. You can eat it also in the morning. And finally, for a light lunch, you can have a slice with simple, fresh, green salad. Enjoy!
Difficulty: ★☆☆ (Easy)
(makes 1 bread in 24cm springform – or other – cake pan)
3 tbsp olive oil to cook the vegetables
2 big (or 4 small) leeks, most of the green parts trimmed, the white parts sliced
4 big carrots, grated
3 dl + 4 tbsp (or 1 1/2 cups) corn flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 dl + 4 tsp (or 1/2 cup) milk
1 dl + 4 tsp (or 1/2 cup) olive oil
olive oil, vegetable oil or butter to grease the pan
1. Preheat the oven to 185C. Grease the pan and cover the bottom with baking paper.
2. In a big pan, put olive oil and heat on medium high for about half a minute. Add leeks and carrots and cook them by stirring frequently, until they get tender. Once cooked, take out of the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
3. In a small bowl, mix corn flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In a big bowl, put eggs and whisk until smooth.
5. Add milk and olive oil and whisk until smooth.
6. Add corn flour mixture and whisk until all dry ingredients are mixed well with wet ones and the mixture is smooth.
7. Add cooked leeks and carrots and fold.
8. Transfer the batter to prepared cake pan. Smoothen the surface using a spatula. Put in the oven, in medium rack and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the surface is golden colour and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. When it’s out of the oven, let it cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Let it cool to room temperature before serving. Enjoy in any time of the day, for any type of meal!