One of my favourite combinations: sweet potato & black beans. And this gratin turned out so delicious that I ate this all day today. Not the whole thing of course. But I am only happy to be able to continue eating the leftovers tomorrow!
It’s not only the taste that I like. It’s also the colours! I love the colour combo of sweet potatoes and black beans. So this dish is also very appealing to the eyes.
Preparation of the dish is not very hard. The part that takes time in the preparation is cooking the onions and softening the sweet potatoes with the onions. After that, the rest is done in the oven, you can just relax and wait for the delicious result.
If you want to keep it vegan, it’s easy to convert. The only thing that makes this dish not vegan as I put here is the addition of parmesan in the end. You can leave it completely. You can keep it just without parmesan or you can add your favourite nuts.
I haven’t yet tasted the leftovers as I have just made this gratin today. I’m sure that it’ll taste great tomorrow as well, though it’s of course best to eat it all fresh. Enjoy!
2 tbsp olive oil
3 medium red onions, chopped fine (about 160 gr. after peeling and trimming)
4 medium sweet potatoes, diced (not too small pieces)(about 900 gr. after peeling)
fresh thyme leaves from 5-6 sprigs of thyme
2 cans black beans, drained (each can is 400 gr, net weight: 240 gr)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
juice of 1 lime
3 dl (or 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth)
4 slices of whole wheat bread, roughly torn into small pieces
70 to 100 gr. finely grated parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 220C. Prepare an oven dish (I used a 20x30cm ceramic dish) by lightly greasing.
2. In a large pan, put olive oil on medium high heat. Add red onions and saute by stirring frequently, for about 5-6 minutes, until onions are really soft and slightly caramelised.
3. Add sweet potatoes and fresh thyme and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for about 8-9 minutes, until sweet potatoes start to get tender.
4. Transfer the mixture to the oven dish. Add black beans. Mix with a spoon.
5. Add salt & pepper, mix.
6. Add lime juice and vegetable broth and mix.
7. Spread the torn bread pieces on top. Add grated parmesan on top of bread pieces. Put in the oven, in medium rack, for about 35-40 minutes, until sweet potatoes are well cooked and the broth is bubbling. Enjoy it fresh out of the oven with loved ones!