For a long time I’ve been planning to make an olive oil cake. So here is the first trial!
Using herbs in sweet cakes is a delight. I first used fresh herbs in a gluten free cake – fresh basil with orange and lemon zest (check the recipe here). It was so fresh and I was so positively surprised.
This time, I’m using rosemary and added to that, I’m also using olive oil. When it comes to using vegetable oil in baking cakes, olive oil is not one used frequently as it has very strong flavour. But this time it was a welcome addition.
Using fresh rosemary together with lemon in a sweet baked good (which is not a cake) is not new for me though. A couple of years ago I posted a cookie recipe with lemon and rosemary in it (find the recipe here). The cookies were really refreshing and so is this cake. Enjoy it with fresh tea or coffee!
(makes 1 cake in a 22cm bundt pan)
6 dl + 2 tbsp (or 2.5 cups + 2 tbsp or 380 gr.) all-purpose flour
3.5 dl + 2 tsp (or 1 1/2 cups) granulated white sugar
1.5 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla sugar
3 large eggs
1 dl + 4 tsp (or 1/2 cup) olive oil
1 dl + 4 tsp (or 1/2 cup) milk
4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
zest of 1 large lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 22cm bundt pan.
2. Put dry (the first 7) ingredients in a bowl and whisk a little.
3. In a large bowl, put eggs, olive oil and milk and whisk well.
4. Add lemon juice and lemon zest and continue whisking.
5. Add dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
6. Transfer the cake batter to prepared bundt pan. Put the pan in the oven, in medium rack and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. After baking, take out of the oven and let the cake cool down to room temperature completely before taking the cake out of the pan. Enjoy with fresh tea or coffee!