Last month, I met a close friend on a Tuesday for lunch in my favourite local restaurant. In the lunch menu was a carrot and ginger soup and I just loved it, even though I don’t always like carrot soup. But adding fresh ginger is a delicious touch indeed.
So a few days later I made this soup for myself and ever since I’ve been having it frequently. Especially now in these cold and dark November days, its bright orange colour will brighten my days too hopefully!
Once when I made this soup, I also added turmeric, 1 tsp. It was a lovely, soft addition to the overall taste. One especially good side of adding turmeric to this soup is, combined with ginger, it will be a great boost to the immune system in these cold winter days when flu is waiting in every corner to knock people out.
This is a very easy and also cheap soup. So I hope you give it a try! While serving, you can top with a dollop of dairy-free creme fraîche (or regular cream, if you are not vegan) if you like. I like Oatly’s creme fraîche for instance. Enjoy!
Printable PDF-recipe (no photos)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 kg carrots, peeled and diced
1 lt. (or 4 cups) vegetable broth or water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
optional: 1 tsp ground turmeric
Serve with (optional): dairy-free or regular creme fraîche, toasted nuts..
1. Put olive oil in a medium size pot and put it on medium high heat. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until it gets translucent.
2. Add grated ginger and continue to sauté for 1-1.5 more minutes.
3. Add carrots and give it a stir.
4. Add vegetable broth or water, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (and ground turmeric, if using) and stir well.
5. Put the lid of the pot and bring it to a boil. When it starts to boil, lower the heat to medium and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until carrots are very very tender.
6. When cooked, turn off the heat. Using a blender, puree the soup. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve with creme fraîche and/or toasted nuts. Enjoy!
Beautiful color. Very enticing!
Fantastic recipes, mouthwatering soup.