I baked these brownies several times. Because I had to adjust the ginger well. Finally I found a good amount!
So, winter is on and ginger is good for your winter health! Well ok, I’m not sure how much we can say that in the context of a brownie, but at least it’s good for your mental health!
In these brownies, you are not hit with a massive amount of ginger taste. It’s quite subtle, but it’s there. You get the ginger taste quite gradually while you are eating the brownie. And it’s good this way, I didn’t want the ginger taste to be overbearing.
I saw these brownies in another blog first. But I altered it quite much to adjust the taste and technique. The resulting brownies are soft and moist. They taste even better the next day so do not be afraid of baking them the day before you want to serve. Enjoy!
(makes 24 slices, 20x30cm oven dish)
2 dl + 5 tbsp + 1 tsp (or 1 cup + 2 tsp or 170 gr.) all-purpose flour
5 tbsp ground ginger*
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
110 gr. dark chocolate (I used 47%), broken into small pieces
225 gr. butter, sliced in cubes, plus a bit more to grease the oven dish
2.5 dl + 1 tbsp (or 1 cup + 1 tbsp or 250 gr.) granulated white sugar
*In the photos, there is a smaller amount of ginger as I was trying to figure out how much I should use at that point.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 20x30cm oven dish and cover the base and 2 sides with a baking paper.
2. In a small bowl, put flour, ginger, baking powder and salt and whisk.
3. Put chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and put on a pot of simmering water to melt together. When both are melted, take away from the water.
4. In a mixing bowl, put eggs and sugar and whisk from medium to high speed, for about 3-4 minutes, until white and creamy.
5. Pour egg mixture to melted chocolate mixture. Whisk continuously while pouring the egg mixture (the chocolate mixture will be still hot and if you don’t whisk continuously, you might cook the eggs).
6. Add flour mixture and fold until no lump is left.
7. Transfer the batter into prepared oven dish. Bake in the mid section of the oven for about 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out relatively clean (but not too clean, otherwise it will be too dry). After it is baked and out of the oven, let it cool completely in the dish before removing and slicing. Enjoy!